How to Care for your Mental Health at Home
I feel like after 2 years of a pandemic (which seems to never end) and now more bad news in the world, people who have been so strong for so long are now starting to crack. Do you know what I mean?
It seems that many people are just done. They are feeling more reactive to the smallest hiccup in their day.
Many people come to the clinic and say – I’m just not coping well!
- I’m scared to leave my house
- The pandemic has divided my family
- I can’t stand that there is war happening and innocent people are dying
- Transition after transition, I’m having trouble coping
- I just wish things could go back to normal
- I had covid and the symptoms won’t go away, will I ever run again?
- prices are going up – will I be able to afford gas?
At the very least, the pandemic has shone a light on the importance of taking care of one’s mental health.
So what can you do if you are feeling low and unable to cope?
- Definitely talk to your doctor, meet with a psychologist, call the Crisis line 780-482-4357 or Mental health help line 1-877-303-2642.
If you want some ideas for coping on your own you can try:
- Spending time in nature can lift your spirits and your white blood cell count.
- Choosing healthier foods like vegetables, whole grains and lean meats will help balance your blood sugar levels, nourish you body and help you feel more level.
- Going for a walk around your block or working out has been proven to improve your mood.
- Take a break from social media and the news. Sometimes less is more.
- Sounds cheesy maybe but I find that looking at positive images, quotes, and videos can lighten my mood and help me put things in perspective.
- Calling a friend when you are having a hard time is a great way to feel less isolated. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
I’ve had people ask me if acupuncture can help with anxiety and depression and the answer is a resounding “yes!” Acupuncture takes us out of fight-or-flight mode, calms the nervous system, and balances our neurochemicals.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.